Follow by Email

Saturday, 14 December 2013


The Summerland Steam traveled to Kamloops on Friday night to face one of the top teams in the league in the Kamloops Storm. These teams renewed acquaintances after a Sunday matinee last weekend that saw the Steam sneak out of the Summerland Arena with a 5-4 double overtime victory thanks to a goal from Sam Nigg.

On this night however, six nights later,  the Steam were not so lucky. It started off well for Summerland as they took a 1-0 lead early in the first period on a goal from Michael Winnitoy. They were outshot in the period however, as they allowed 14 shots on net while only managing 9 for themselves. Nearing the tail end of the period the Storm evened the score at 1 when Luke Gordon put a puck past Steam goaltender Darren Hogg.

The second period brought a few scoring chances for each team but no scoring, as the game remained tied after the buzzer went to end the second.

In the third each team managed a goal as Kienan Scott got his 14th of the season and his team leading 28th point to give the Steam a 2-1 lead with 13 minutes to go in the contest. It took just over two minutes for Kamloops to tie the game, however, as Daniel Buchanan took a pass from Luke Gordon to tie the game at two.

Despite a push from both sides, the buzzer went after 60 minutes with the game tied and that sent these two teams to overtime. In the overtime period with just under 2 minutes remaining Max James scored for Kamloops to take the second point and give his team the win.

It's a heartbreaking loss for the Summerland Steam who held the lead twice in the game and unfortunately could not hang on. They will surely look to turn their fortunes around at home tomorrow afternoon against the Spokane Braves. The Braves come in to Summerland for tomorrow's matinee affair after a 7-0 drubbing of the Okanagan Division leading Kelowna Chiefs.

The puck drops at 2PM. Make sure to join us pre-game on the KIJHL website as we get you set for puck drop.