Follow by Email

Wednesday, 26 February 2014


One night after a thriller in the Summerland Arena in Game 1, Game 2 was set to be much of the same. Unfortunately for the Summerland Steam, it was just the opposite. The North Okanagan Knights came to play in a big way, and got the early jump on the Steam, starting the game by outshooting them 5-1 in the first 3 minutes.


Logan Mostat got the party started for North Okanagan just 10 minutes into the hockey game as he managed to get a puck up and over Steam starting goaltender Brett Huber to give his team the lead. Blaine Caton then added to the lead for the Knights just about 4 minutes later before Daylan Robertson cut the lead back to one on the powerplay.

Off a won draw in the offensive zone at the start of the powerplay, Robertson took a pass from Josh Dacosta to the left of Knights' goaltender Zach Dyment and deposited it into the net. The Knights would then restore their lead on the powerplay with 11 seconds to go in the period as Morgan Johnston beat Huber from his right to make it 3-1 after a period.

To start the second the Steam looked as though they were going to come on with some life after North Okanagan took an early penalty. On that powerplay, Dylan Burton was able to take a pass from Jordan Boultbee and bury one behind Dyment to cut the lead to 3-2.

With the score 3-2 it looked as though the Steam were going to start to push for the tie. Logan Mostat had other ideas though, as he came down the wing and let go of a long wrister that beat Brett Huber under the blocker to restore the two goal lead for the Knights once again.

Again, the Steam tried to push back. They had a few chances, the best coming on a partial breakaway for Kienan Scott that Dyment did a good job keeping out of the Knights' net. That was the turning point, as that save was followed almost immediately by another Knights goal, from Mostat once again. He completed the hat trick on a cross ice pass at 10:01 of the second period, and it made the game 5-2 for the Knights.

Blaine Caton would then add his second of the night just 3 minutes later, and that would do it for Brett Huber. Huber would give way to Darren Hogg to play the rest of the game, and Hogg played well for the remainder of the 2nd and into the 3rd.

In that third frame, Sam Nigg would get the only Steam goal, while Blaine Caton would complete his own hat trick before Ryan Kelm would beat Hogg with just a couple of minutes to go and close out the scoring at 8-3 in favor of the Knights.


What it all means is that this series is tied at 1. It also means that we're guaranteed to have a Game 5, which will be played Sunday, March 2nd, at 7PM at the Summerland Arena. 

Game 2 was an all-out assault by the Knights who were ready from the get-go while the Steam were not. The Steam will need to have a very short memory when it comes around to Friday night when they host Game 3 at the Summerland Arena. They'll need to get back to what they've been doing in the back half of this season and that's take care of their own. If they take care of their own zone, it's far easier for them to create offense, and we saw it in Game 1. 

We didn't see it in Game 2, and it led to 8 goals behind a goaltending tandem that finished 3rd in the league in GAA. Another issue from Game 2, for both teams, was discipline. Both teams can score nearly at will on the powerplay, and it showed. The Steam will have to walk the line and try and draw penalties without taking them heading further through this series. 

As always, you can follow along with us on Facebook at 'Summerland Junior B Hockey Club' or on twitter with the team (@SteamKIJHL) and myself (@Steam_Voice) to get the latest information on the Steam and this playoff series!